Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Story in English - Country affected by humans

Country affected by humans

Noise, dirt and smell in India reached staggering proportions. It is quite possible that this country is the superpower of noise, dirt and smell. This combination goes beyond the imagination of those who come here for the first time and I believe that many intestinal difficulties of inexperienced travelers comes from the consternation that quite astounding and hampering their ability to defend themselves against this aggressive environment.Already the first walk through the streets is unexpected onslaught of good manners. Just when you notice how men relieve themselves before all others at the open urinals. When standing on a railway station up to your ankles in the garbage, you can not be struck by the contradiction between the statement on a plate in each pole announcing "Indian Railways - pride of the entire nation" and the fact that every now and then someone jumps into trackage to leave his smelling opinion on that pride.

I've never seen anyone that would take care of garbage collection from the streets, but I've seen more times absurd attempt to wash the floor in the hotel. Mostly they end up sort of strange that the man spread the dirt by the strange wet broom, which itself is just another source of dirt.Another breath-taking look is when you stood in Varanasi on the banks of the sacred river Gangha and see as people wash their teeth in its muddy waters. Nearby are floating bloated carcasses of a dead sacred cows. According the tradition bodies of dead children, Brahmin and those who died of leprosy also threw in the same water. And nobody cares also threw in the same water.

In the New Delhi for the first time in my life I've really seen a smog. This experience graduated up to Varanasi when we went by taxi from Varanasi to the place where Buddha first preached (and where we finally saw a cleaner countryside). We were five. I sat in the back seat in the middle of the Indian colleagues and for the first time in my life (and I hope the last), I experienced the onslaught of uncontrollable panic. From the open windows of a taxi pushed us such a wisp of smog, dust and smell that I had an immediate urge to jump and escape. I have mastered not to just by rational conclusion that if I will jump out of the cab I will end in the midst of all this and perish forever become overwhelmed by the mass of dirt. Rather, I prefer to steam in a taxi behind closed window.Despite all this optimism does not pass me. On the way from Varanasi to Delhi we should go by train from the morning throughout the day. I believed that it will pay for everything by the previous suffering.

"The country can not be ugly. No country is ugly, or dirty an smelly.” I reassured myself and a colleague. Then the train moved, and I was speechless for three hundred kilometers long.Indeed, no country is ugly, or dirty and smelly when someone is watching it from behind a window, going by fast train. But in no other country they have a habit of shocking the local morning toilet. In India, villagers enjoy to see each train, which passes. They do not want to miss either their morning toilet to relieve the pressing current needs. The shocking solution is that they go to a nearest knoll and watch the passing train without being interrupted from their morning dispensation. And to see a three hundred kilometers of shiting natives will knock out each admirer of exotic countries. I do not know how an Indian village looks like from a train in the morning. And neither do not recommend anyone to know ...

No comments: